Your Treatment & Aftercare
To make your orthodontic treatment as comfortable and pleasant as possible, we use only state-of-the-art, flexible wires developed from the technology of NASA’s space program. We also offer the Damon System technology braces that lessen the need for tooth extraction and surgery to correct the bite. Damon system technology braces, cavity fighting adhesives, space age, and low force wires are just some examples of the state-of-the-art treatment you will receive at our office.
You will be happy to know that we provide the i-CAT that allows for an initial orthodontic record in 4.8 seconds without the need to do impressions for models. The i-CAT allows diagnosis of exact tooth and bone positions in 3 dimensions.
We are always excited to meet new patients and strive to make your visits with us pleasant and informative.
The digital photos and x-ray from your first visit will assist in Dr. Buchanan’s diagnosis and provide important dental information for an individualized treatment plan.
Upon completion of a thorough examination, Dr. Buchanan will be able to tell you if teatment is indicated and if so when, as well as the length and cost of treatment.
First Day After Treatment
Cut food into small bites
Soft foods are easiest
Remember hard/sticky foods can damage braces
It may take a few days to adjust to your braces
Your teeth may be slightly sensitive at first
If necessary, use Advil, Tylenol, or Aleve as directed to relieve any initial discomfort
A small piece of wax on your brackets may help until the cheeks have “toughened”
Warm salt water rinses help
- Poking wire: bend with fingernail or eraser – cover with wax or gum – last resort cut with clippers
- Sore teeth: take Aspirin, Tylenol or Advil as directed – try warm salt water rinses
- Eat soft food until discomfort subsides – normally 48 hours
- Breakage: save pieces & call – DO NOT ATTEMPT REPAIR
- Sometimes temporary spaces develop between teeth
- Spacer falls out: replace with floss as directed
- Sore in mouth: normally this indicates rubbing in that area – try warm salt water rinses
- Discomfort persists: call office
We understand accidents happen. We encourage you to call if you have questions or concerns.
If you call during normal business hours, any of our team will happily assist you. If you call after hours and reach our voice mail service you will be given a list of options.